I’m always looking for new salads that are portable and can be made ahead of time. They also need to be filling, healthy and delicious. I’ve told you how high-maintenance I am when it comes to lunches. And even though I can eat the same breakfast, day after day, lunches need to be new, exciting and always different. Oh, and then healthy too. 🙂 I swear I’m fun to go out to eat with!
This is the kind of salad that fits all of my requirements – we’ve got veggies (about 4 servings); fiber from the beans, flavor and protein from the meat and cheese and some good fat from the salad dressing. It is a change from the usual, sometimes boring, and just what I need from time to time to mix things up.
Italian Chopped Salad – 2 servings
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 4 basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1 thin slice red onion, cut in half
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 english cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup garbanzo beans
- 2-3 Tbsp balsamic vinaigrette (I used garlic gold)
- 2 oz provolone cheese, chopped
- 2 oz genoa salami, chopped
Layer half of the lettuce, basil, onion, pepper and cucumber slices on plate or in a bowl.
Sprinkle garbanzo beans and dressing over veggies and top with cheese and salami.