Arugula & Citrus Salad features peppery arugula, in-season citrus, and is studded with creamy goat cheese!
I think it’s fairly obvious that I don’t subscribe to any particular “diets” but I do have four food “mantras” that I follow myself, and certainly recommend to anyone who is trying to improve their diet.
They are: (from my about me page):
- Eat a lot of vegetables – make them a main or major component in most meals
- Eat only when hungry – and stop before you’re full
- Eat a lot of nutritious foods – with room for plenty of fun foods that aren’t(!)
- Never, EVER EVER EVER feel guilty about what you’re eating – enjoy it and move on
Salads are a perfect way to fulfill #1 (and #3!) and I’m a firm believer in a salad a day! Sure there are days that salads don’t happen, but they certainly are a regular rotation in our diets and happen more days than not.
Because we eat them so often, I’m always – always – on the lookout for new salads to keep things interesting. So, let me know your favorite salad combo!
Putting the vegetable mantra aside, there are two main reasons that you should make this salad:
One: citrus is in-season. And god does it taste good this time of year! I can not get enough of it lately.
Two: fruit in salads is a great way to entice toddlers into eating said salad. Yup. But no guarantees…because I know it all depends on the day, mood, temperature, plate color, bib choice, etc.
Adults might be easier to please because this salad combines all of the flavors we strive for on a plate:
Sweet and sour. Bitter and crisp. Creamy and drizzled with a bright citrus dressing to bring everything together.
Serve it alongside a piece of fish or grilled chicken for a balanced meal.
And let me know if your kids approve. 😉
I love hearing from you guys when you make recipes you’ve found here so let me know what you think, or tag me on social media (@anutritionisteats or #anutritionisteats) so I can see your creations!Print
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 Tbsp)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 olive oil
- juice from one lemon
- juice from 1/2 an orange
- 6 cups torn butter lettuce
- 6 cups arugula
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1 blood orange, peeled and segmented
- remaining 1/2 of orange from dressing, peeled and segmented
- optional: pistachios, pine nuts
- Combine shallot, mustard, oil, lemon juice and orange juice in a small jar.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste and shake until emulsified.
- Toss greens with dressing and divide onto plates.
- Top with citrus segments, goat cheese and nuts if desired.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
There will be leftover dressing – store in the refrigerator and use again!
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 14 grams
- Fat: 20 grams
- Carbohydrates: 19 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 9 grams
- Cholesterol: 13 mg