It seems like every time I turn around, we’ve got another Summer get-together on the calendar. In Minnesota it is completely normal to hibernate throughout the winter and then spend as much time outside as possible, in addition to socializing with your friends, during the summer. (Yes, the winter is that cold and we do what we can to not leave home.)
While I always enjoy and appreciate these get-togethers, between drinks, desserts and burgers, my normal eating habits seem to struggle a bit. Here are some tips to keep some balance to your diet in the midst of summer parties!
- Don’t stand by the food table! If you are there, you will nibble.
- Keep the drinks to a minimum – once you move past two drinks inhibitions will be lowered, not to mention the calories will start adding up!
- Decide what you really want to eat – is it a burger? Is it your Mom’s famous cupcakes? Pick one and then keep everything else on the healthy side.
- Skip the bun! Buns are rarely worth it to me.
- Fill up on veggie sides – I like to bring either a side dish, salad or snack that has veggies so I know I have some.
- Enjoy the company! That is the real reason for get-togethers after all, isn’t it?
- If you overdo it, move on and wake up the next morning to a new day!
Do you have any tips to add?