Omega 3 Fatty Acids are prevelant enough that you have probably heard of them and you probably know that you should be consuming them but you may not know why or where to even start! Omega 3’s (aka a good fat) are very important to our health for a number of reasons and because our bodies can’t produce these types of fats on its own, it is imperative that we get them through our diets.
Why we Need Omega 3’s:
- it can lower lipid levels (triglycerides and cholesterol)
- it is anti-inflammatory
- it can reduce risk of heart disease and stroke
- thought to help with depression
- want to aim for about 2,000- 4,000 mg/day
- ideally we would have a ratio close to 1:1 (omega 3 to omega 6) but Western diets typically have a ratio of up to 1:30
Where can we get Omega 3’s from?
- Seeds & Nuts: flax, hemp, walnuts
- Fish: salmon, sardines
- Fortified foods: milk, eggs, peanut butter, orange juice, chocolate
- Eggs: Eggland’s Best eggs contain 115 mg Omega 3’s – average eggs contain 49 mg
- Supplements: EPA & DHA fish oil are most common
Delicious ways to incorporate Omega 3’s into your diet:
Omega-3 Breakfast Bowl: Add an egg while cooking oatmeal ala Custard Oats. Top with flaxseed, walnuts and brown sugar.
Smoked Salmon Scramble: 2 eggs + 1 servings smoked salmon + chives
Omega-3 Salad: butter lettuce + steamed asparagus + hard boiled egg + canned sardines + hemp seeds + dressing made with flax oil
What are your favorite ways to get in Omega 3’s?