The latest natural food trends have always intrigued me, but since working in the natural food business, they are also something that I needed to stay on top of.
It is one of the reasons why I prefer to go to the store alone – then I can spend all of the time I want wandering up and down every single aisle, every single time I visit the store. (And I could literally go to the store every day).
These are my favorite natural food trends of 2012 – they aren’t necessarily “new” items, but are really popular this year.
- Gluten-Free: I’m glad that there are more delicious options for those who must follow a gluten-free diet, but there is also a lot of “junk gluten-free” products out there. (Which means Gluten Free isn’t necessarily healthier)!
- Probiotics: Are everywhere! In food, drink, water and pouch form. I’m a huge fan of probiotics but I still prefer mine via supplements.
- Convenience Foods: Foods that require little to no prep time are still a staple in 2012 and come in all forms of breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Kombucha: The kombucha section is growing at a steady rate and I’ve tried a number of them, but my favorites are still GT Kombucha and Kombucha Wonder Drink.
- Greek Yogurt: Like kombucha, I swear I see a new Greek Yogurt brand/variety every time I visit the store. There is even frozen greek yogurt, but I have yet to try it.
- Coconut: Found in waters, teas, oils, baked goods and bars, ice creams, milks and sweeteners.
Which of these food trends do you enjoy? What would you add to the list?