It’s been three weeks, so clearly you need another quinoa salad, right?
I honestly feel a little behind the times with the whole quinoa salad trend.
But as they say, better late than never! Especially because quinoa is a nutritious little seed that boasts 8 grams of (complete!) protein and 5 grams of fiber per cup (cooked). Even more than that though, I love the convenience of making a big batch of quinoa salad and eating it over greens for quick weekday lunches. The combination of beans + quinoa = one satisfying salad.
When I was testing quinoa salad recipes for self.com, this was one of the versions I came up with and I love it for a few reasons. One: I am currently going through a MAJOR black bean phase. Two: I love the contrast of the light quinoa and dark bean. (It’s purely a cosmetic reason.) Three: CHEESE! (No explanation necessary.)
Serve it alongside grilled chicken for dinner or bring it to your next summer party, it’s sure to be a hit!
- 1 cup quinoa
- vegetable broth (optional)
- ¼ cup lime juice (about 1 lime)
- ½ cup olive oil plus 1 Tbsp
- 1 shallot
- 1 Tbsp honey
- salt & pepper
- 2-15 oz cans black beans
- ½ cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Prepare quinoa: Rinse quinoa in fine mesh strainer.
- Add quinoa and 2 cups water to small pan. (I’ve started adding broth to the cooking liquid. Two cups total liquid.)
- Stir, season with salt and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Prepare vinaigrette: while quinoa is cooking, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, honey, shallot and salt & pepper.
- Remove quinoa from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and toss with vinaigrette.
- Drain and rinse black beans.
- When quinoa is cool, toss with remaining ingredients. Chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.