This dish is both luxuriously flavored and perfectly hearty. Creamy blue cheese coats mushrooms for a delicious crostini topping. I had this dish recently at King’s Wine Bar in South Minneapolis and it was my favorite dish of the evening by far – I knew I had to try and make it at home.
I wasn’t sure if I wanted to make a roux and melt the blue cheese into that, or if I wanted to add goat cheese, but eventually (and perhaps lazily) I decided on melting cream cheese with a little cream and adding the blue cheese to that. It was very thick and looking back I would probably add more mushrooms to the mixture.
There are many ways to eat this cheesy, mushroom mixture. The Taster thought it would be delicious with steak, I thought it would be fantastic spread on a pizza crust with sauteed spinach. Or you can simply slather it on some toasted baguette slices. Or spoon it straight into your mouth. I promise I won’t judge.
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 oz light cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp half & half
- 4 oz blue cheese crumbles
- Remove mushroom stems, wipe and roughly chop.
- Heat oil in pan.
- Add garlic and cook for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove mushroom mixture and return pan to low heat adding half & half and cream cheese.
- Stir frequently until smooth.
- Add mushrooms and blue cheese and stir until combined.
- Serve with toasted bread, steak, etc!