I love big salads. They are a great way to get in tons of fresh veggies, good fats and protein and they don’t weigh you down like heavy meals can. They are energizing and always make me feel great!
In order to make a salad filling enough for a meal, though, you’ve got to be sure that you incorporate the right mix of ingredients: lots of fiber-filled fresh vegetables, lean protein, healthy fats and a combination that tastes great!
My Tips for Building a Healthy Salad:
Green Base: I like to have a few varieties of greens – something crunchy and something dark!
- Herb Salad Mix
- Dark Greens (Kale, Chard, etc.)
- Roasted Veggies (Squash, Sweet Potato)
- Lean Protein: Beans, Chicken, Fish, Tofu, Eggs, Cottage Cheese
- Healthy Fats: Avocado, Nuts, Hemp Seeds, Olives
- Flavor: Cheese (I like to use a really flavorful cheese like Feta, Goat, Blue, etc), Fresh Herbs, Fresh or Dried Fruits
- Bottled Dressing (like Annie’s or some of the other organic/natural brands)
- Simple: drizzle of olive oil, squeeze of lemon, salt & pepper
- Favorite Vinaigrette: chopped shallots + olive oil + lemon juice or vinegar + mustard + salt & pepper