It’s the quintessential lunch, right?
It can definitely be a great, easy lunch option if you are into brown-bagging it.
And if you want it to be, it can be really healthy too. Here are my tips for the healthiest turkey sandwich!
- Bread: Because I work at a bakery, I’m a total bread snob so I use Sprouted Bread but 100% whole grain is also a good option- each slice should have at least 3 grams of protein and fiber.
- Turkey: Natural turkey is best – no antibiotics, hormones, weird fillers, etc.
- Cheese: Adding a slice of cheese can add a serving of dairy and some extra protein to your meal – just make sure it is real cheese!
- Toppings: I’ve got nothing against mayo, but a topping like avocado adds good fats and lots of vitamins. Mustard is a low calorie way to add in extra flavor as well. (Or a blend of mustard + a little mayo gives you that creamy flavor without all the calories!)
- Vegetables: Always add vegetables! Lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, cucumbers – whatever you can think of or have around – the more the better!
How do you make your sandwich healthy?