(I changed up my site over the weekend, so if you’re on a reader, click through to check it out! It was planned for a few weeks from now, but after some major issues last week, I decided to go for it early. I’m still working on a few things, and unfortunately crossing my fingers a bit at this point that everything works as it is supposed to, but it’s close!)
Enough of the tech talk, let’s get on to the good stuff. Healthy Taco Pizza is today’s topic!
This latest creation is another kid-friendly meal that I think the entire family will love. It’s hard not to.
I obviously don’t have kids of my own yet, but I have this laughable idea that my toddlers are going to love quinoa and kale. (They will, right?!)
Ok, that might be a stretch and while I’m still going to hold out hope, I do know that kids like tacos. And that kids like pizzas. In fact, everyone does – adults included!
Taco pizzas are one of those meals that are filling, tasty and pretty healthy as well! To lighten things up, I use a tortilla for the crust, which also creates built-in portion control. If you’re really concerned with the calories and fat in ground beef, by all means, swap it out for extra-lean turkey.
As the GIF below illustrates, you top the tortilla with beans, cheese, ground beef and then layer on the fresh toppings like lettuce, tomato, onion and a drizzle of sour cream. (Hot sauce is good too!)
Everyone is happy. Everyone is satisfied. Everyone loves pizza + tacos!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 4 tortillas
- 1-15 oz can refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 chopped tomatoes (1-2 cups)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- hot sauce if desired
- Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef to pan and break up with a spatula. Continue to break up meat into smaller pieces as it browns, about 5 minutes. Add taco seasoning and cook another minute.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toast tortillas in oven, flip after 5 minutes and cook another 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Top tortillas with refried beans and cheese.
- Bake for about 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Top with beef, lettuce, tomatoes, onion and sour cream.