Let’s ring in 2015 with something green, shall we?
It’s a total cliché, I know. But December wasn’t all cookies and egg nog either – things were actually quite healthy around here. Waldorf Salad, Veggies with a Charred Onion Dip, Blueberry Baked Oatmeal and not a single cookie or candy insight! (Well, I was eating them but not making them.)
It’s no secret that I love green beans. (Always haricot verts actually, and there is a difference, albeit small.) Richie gets sick of them because week after week, I prepare them in the same exact way: lightly steamed, finished in a pan with a touch of (usually) butter, garlic salt (YES, the stuff that comes in a big green bottle) and red pepper flakes. On the nights that he makes them, they’re always much better! His secret?
Skipping the garlic salt and red pepper flakes. Butter, salt and pepper. That’s it.
But this idea for green beans basically fell into my lap (it was on the back of the package) and since I’ve been loving the blue cheese + nut +vinaigrette combo lately I had to make it immediately. I need a life – I know!
It couldn’t be easier to make. Steam the green beans, whip up the vinaigrette (which honestly, is something I think you should always have around) and toss everything together. Dinner vegetables get an upgrade!
- 1 lb green beans
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar (or white balsamic vinegar)
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt & pepper
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ¼ cup toasted and chopped nuts
- Lightly steam green beans. (I microwave mine!)
- While the beans are cooking, whisk together shallot, mustard, vinegar, olive oil and salt & pepper.
- Toss green beans with about ¼ cup of dressing. (You'll have extra dressing.)
- Top with blue cheese and chopped nuts.
- Season with salt and pepper if necessary.