It’s officially lunch week over here. A few weeks ago, we had breakfast week and I guess that means dinner week should be next! We’re starting things off with a superb curried chicken salad (it’s perfect over greens and easily made ahead of time) and later this week, I’ll be sharing a ton of ideas on what to pack for lunches – ideas designed for both kids and adults!
So the curried chicken salad.
The location of my office? It’s a good one. (Except that the four mile drive can take 30-40+ minutes on a bad day!)
It’s a few blocks away from one of my favorite lunch spots, Clementine (I’ve created a number of copycat Clementine recipes: whole-grain oat muffins, lentil, beet & goat cheese salad and fall chicken salad) and it’s a few blocks away from my favorite mall in LA. Which is trouble, so I don’t visit the mall that often.
A visit to the mall = a visit to madewell = spending too much money. So I just avoid it all together, as much as humanly possible.
In addition to some great stores, this mall has an incredible food court. It’s honestly the best food court EVER! I normally stick with the same greek salad, but recently I branched out and had lunch from Coral Tree Cafe.
They make a classic curried chicken salad, served over greens. So perfect. I had to have it every day for lunch the following week. The curry sauce is creamy and so flavorful, but the raisins make this salad. I am not normally a raisin fan, but in this version, they are the sweet bite this salad needs.
Chicken salads are a favorite of mine because they can be made ahead of time and served with a simple salad for a healthy, protein-packed and easy lunch. And curried chicken salad just might be my favorite of the bunch. A hint of spice, a touch of exotic and a little excitement to 1pm on Wednesday.
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 3 breasts)
- ¾ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup diced carrots
- ⅓ cup diced cucumber (remove seeds)
- ⅓ cup diced red onion
- ⅔ golden raisins
- Cook chicken breasts as desired and let cool and chop into small pieces. (I poached mine, directions here.)
- Whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, water, curry powder and salt. Set aside.
- Prepare and chop all vegetables.
- Toss together all ingredients and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Serve with greens, stuffed into a pita or with crackers.