Today, I’ve got a delicious, messy, filling – and healthy – dinner for you all!
When I put a call out for the type of recipes you’d all like to see, there was an overwhelming request for kid-friendly, family dinners. That makes sense. Dinners are tough and so I’m working on more entire-meal dinners with a focus on kid-friendly meals.
For this particular meal, the center, the main, the BEST part… is the grilled chicken sandwich. The sides – grilled potato wedges and a simple salad – are good, but the sandwich is WHERE it’s at. Let me tell you about it.
Multigrain bread. Avocado. Sriracha aïoli. Swiss cheese. Tomato slices. Grilled chicken.
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. And. YES!
In my mind, dinner needs to get to the table quickly and it needs to be nutritionally balanced. This sandwich fits the bill. The sides fit the bill. Protein, vegetables, healthy fats, and whole grains/starches…it’s all here!
When I look at this dinner on paper (or screen) it looks like a lot, but it really isn’t. Prepare the aïoli, prep potatoes and chicken and while those are on the grill, make the salad and get the remaining sandwich ingredients ready.
Dinner’s on the table in about 30-40 minutes!
- 4 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp sriracha (give or take depending on how hot you like it!)
- 3 medium red skin potatoes, washed
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound chicken thighs, pounded even
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 6-8 cups salad greens
- 2 tomatoes
- 8 oz (8 slices) multigrain bread
- 1 avocado, mashed and seasoned with salt
- 4 slices of swiss cheese
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Make aïoli: combine mayonnaise and sriracha. Set aside.
- Make potatoes: cut potatoes into wedges about 1inch thick and toss with 1 Tbsp of olive oil, and salt & pepper.
- Prep chicken: drizzle 1 Tbsp oil, salt & pepper.
- Place potatoes on grill and cook for about 7-10 minutes, flip over.
- Add chicken to grill and cook for 5-7 minutes, flip over. Cook both chicken and potatoes another 10 minutes, until both are thoroughly cooked through and remove from grill.
- Slice 1 tomato for sandwiches and remaining into small pieces for the salad.
- Whisk together balsamic vinegar, dijon and remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil together in a large bowl. Add greens and toss.
- Assemble sandwiches, plate sides.