Chicken tacos with guacamole, a twist on the classic are the perfect weeknight dinner.
Chicken tacos. They’re a weeknight staple, and hopefully on Tuesdays because Taco Tuesdays are just plain fun.
We actually went out for Taco Tuesday/Happy Hour just last week. All of a sudden, reality has started setting in that soon (10 or so weeks!) we’re going to have a squiggly, little infant on our hands and life as we know it is about to change. So we’re taking full advantage. An impromptu happy hour mid-week and two movies this weekend (American Sniper – SO good, Inherent Vice – not really a fan), we’re really living it up. (Hehe.)
Preparing for the baby’s arrival has also gotten into full swing and we finally hung curtains in the “nursery” …. putting together the crib and dresser are next on the list!
These chicken tacos though! No taco seasoning out of a pouch here. These are a bit different. Just as flavorful, but without the overwhelming chili flavors. The meat is cooked with onions, garlic and red pepper and seasoned with pantry-staple spices. It’s fresh and tasty, and you control how spicy you want it to be!
It’s extremely versatile as well. Double – or even triple – the batch, it’s perfect for freezing. We’re having leftovers with quinoa and black beans this week, but it would be great in quesadillas, on nachos or salads, in burritos, etc.
These tacos as a whole are SO good and adding anything else (besides a touch of sharp cheddar) is not necessary. You’ll be hooked on the warm chicken taco meat + sharp cheddar + cool guacamole all served up in a crunchy corn tortilla combination. And guess what? Dinner is on the table in 30 minutes. (By the way, I so rarely buy crispy corn tortillas that I didn’t realize that you need to bake them for a few minutes – they are so much better when you do this!)
If you’re a chicken-every-night kind of person, Chicken: The New Classics by Marcus Bean* deserves a spot on your shelf. It’s a collection of – yup, you guessed it – chicken-based recipes, utilizing a wide range of chicken cuts. This recipe is a perfect example of the modern twists on chicken classics theme, a classic but reinvented a bit and just as satisfying as the original.
The book is broken into sections like Buying, Preparing and Cooking Chicken, Weekday Meals, For the Weekend, Dinners & Celebrations and Basic Recipes (like the guacamole) and Accompaniments. The images are beautiful (which is always important for me) and I’ve got quite a few recipes I’d like to make flagged, like: Chicken Fricassee, Persian Chicken, Crisp Chicken & Potato Crust and Chicken with Crisp Noodles.
But ultimately, I started with these chicken tacos with guacamole and I’m so glad I did. I have a feeling that (Chicken) Taco Tuesdays will become your new favorite day of the week, too!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1.5 lb ground chicken
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 ripe avocados
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 12 taco shells
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion and red pepper, and fry for 2-3 minutes until just soft.
- Add the chicken and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring until the chicken is just starting to color.
- Add the dry spices and mix everything well, then add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until the liquid has evaporated and the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare guacamole.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove pits and scoop out the flesh, using a spoon and put it into a bowl.
- Add the lime juice and crush with the back of a fork, add cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the tacos with the chicken mixture and top with spoonfuls of guacamole. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and serve with lime wedges.
- Serving Size: 3 tacos
- Calories: 565
- Sugar: 3 grams
- Fat: 36 grams
- Saturated Fat: 13 grams
- Carbohydrates: 31 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 44 grams
- Cholesterol: 162 mg
(*affiliate link) This book was sent to me, all opinions are my own.