My good friend Megan and I made “Mexican Pizzas” for the full year that we lived together on a very regular basis. They were simple, cheap and really satisfying – the perfect college food! Tortilla + refried beans + cheese + hot sauce all microwaved into a hot, cheesy mess.
I still think about those pizzas a lot (along with the fun we had as 20 year olds) but this time, nearly 8 years later, I thought it was time to class it up a bit. The tortillas are now organic and sprouted, the beans are black, salsa verde and fresh herbs are used along with grilled chicken and mozzarella cheese. A little more grown-up maybe, but still a hot, cheesy, satisfying mess.
|Chicken Tostada Pizzas||
- 4 whole grain tortillas*, about 10″ diameter
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 grilled chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tomato, diced
- garnishes: cilantro, sour cream, salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Gather all ingredients.
- Bake tortillas for about 3-4 minutes until crisp.
- Spread salsa over tortillas and top with desired toppings.
- Bake for another 4-5 minutes until cheese has melted.
Recipe inspired by Whole Foods Market
*I used French Meadow Sprouted Grain Tortilla