I’m a little obsessed with chicken salads.
Ok, a lot obsessed.
The most recent obsession was inspired by a lunch from Clementine, a cute little cafe a few blocks away from my office. I love getting 2 or 3 of their fresh and seasonal salads from the deli case. Everything I’ve had has been great, and I had heard good things about the chicken salad on their fall menu. I never pass up chicken salad and this one did not disappoint.
As I was eating, I realized that there are reasons that restaurants and cafes have ridiculously delicious chicken salads:
- Not as many veggies. I always try to cram in WAY too many veggies. There is something to be said about some veggies for crunch, but I usually overdo it.
- Real Mayo. Not light, and definitely not fat-free. Sigh. Oh and lots of it never hurts.
- Shredded chicken. It has to be shredded in my opinion, cubed chicken just isn’t the same.
I’m not really sure why I’m considering this a fall chicken salad (the apples?) but apples are a fall fruit and I’m finally ready to embrace fall so just go with it, ok?
In order to get the “lots of mayo” flavor without all of the calories, I used a combination of reduced-fat mayonnaise and greek yogurt which ended up being the perfect amount of each. The salad will last 3-4 days in the fridge – perfect for a week of lunches!
Fall Chicken Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: entree salad sandwich gluten-free high protein low-carb soy-free sugar-free chicken fall
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- salt, pepper, rosemary
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery (about 1 stalk celery)
- 1/2 cup finely diced apple (about 1 small apple)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion (about 4 onions)
- 4 cups shredded chicken (about 2 chicken breasts)
Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, and seasonings.
Mix in celery, apple, green onion and chicken.
Serve in sandwiches, on greens or eat on its own!