Sheet pan chicken fajitas are the easiest way to get a balanced dinner on the table in 30 minutes!
You guys. I had one of the most defeating mornings I’ve experienced as a mother this last weekend.*
No one slept well on Saturday night and so our Sunday morning was one melt down after another. I’m sure I had some of these feelings when Demi was an infant – the moments when your baby won’t stop crying and you’ve tried everything and the only thing left to do is cry yourself? Like, I know that must have happened, but I clearly blocked it from my memory, because I don’t remember anything this bad!
Every little thing ended with screaming and tears (like wanting the banana peel or another banana when she still had half on her plate or a snack five minutes after breakfast).
It left me physically and emotionally drained. Is this what parenting is all about? Am I just now getting into what life with a toddler feels like?
Maybe don’t answer that…just send help. Or your best tricks. Or coping mechanisms.
My current coping mechanism is to spend time in the kitchen. Which works out quite well, because well, we all need to eat and I love food.
Enter these sheet pan chicken fajitas. I’m ALLLLLLL about these sheet pan dinners lately. They make pulling together dinner SO easy: bake protein and vegetables all together on one pan. Are you familiar with them? Please share any of your favorites if you are!
For the sheet pan chicken fajitas, I used my mom’s marinade recipe – a simple combo of lime juice, oil, garlic and oregano. Then it’s as easy as tossing the peppers, onions and chicken in the marinade, spreading them out onto the pan and roasting.
Thirty minutes later you have a dinner that includes lean protein and vegetables. A dinner that everyone loves. And a dinner that everyone can top and customize themselves. (Always a win, right?) Toppings can be as simple or as extravagant as you please – sour cream, salsa, avocado, shredded cheese, chopped lettuce, minced onion, hot sauce…
Serve with some black beans or mexi-rice and for the love of god – if you’ve had a day or week like mine – A MARGARITA!
*I know that my “struggles” are hardly struggles compared to some. It was a rough day but I do have perspective. 🙂
- 3 bell peppers (green, red and orange), thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1½ lb chicken breast, cut into 1 inch slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- juice from one lime (about 3 Tablespoons)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt & pepper
- 4 tortillas
- toppings: sour cream, salsa, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, hot sauce, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut peppers, onions and chicken into slices.
- In a large bowl, mix together garlic, lime juice, olive oil, oregano, salt & pepper.
- Toss vegetables and chicken in marinade and spread onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Turn oven to broil and broil for about 5 minutes (on the second rack), until veggies and chicken are lightly browned. Watch closely so they don't burn!
- Serve with warm tortillas and toppings as desired.