Chicken Fajitas were a staple in my house growing up, my brother and I loved them.
My Mom served up grilled chicken, sauteed peppers and onions along with salsa and sour cream (and maybe some guacamole) with this delicious carrot and rice dish on the side.
It’s no wonder we loved them, they are flavorful, easy to throw together and who doesn’t love a Mexican meal mid-week?
Fajitas are great because not only are they a healthy meal, but they come together really quickly and a lot of the components can be prepped or done ahead of time. The leftovers make great lunches or quesadillas as well.
Here’s how it goes down.
Simple & Healthy Fajitas:
- Grill, broil or saute your protein – chicken, beef, shrimp or tofu. (This can be done a day or two in advance).
- Prepare the peppers and onions: In a medium saute pan, heat 1 Tbsp of oil. Add 1 onion, sliced and 2 bell peppers, sliced. Saute until soft. (This can also be done a day or two in advance).
- Prepare the toppings: guacamole (if you are making it, you can also just top with chunks of avocado), diced tomato, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream and salsa.
- Heat up tortillas and spread everything out on the table!
- Let everyone build their own fajitas according to taste – but always including a few vegetables! 😉
- You could also serve as a burrito bowl, with brown rice or a salad, over lettuce.
- Side dish: black or refried beans, tortilla chips, or more veggies.
Fajitas – simple, healthy and delicious!