Is this week over yet? Between having my parents in town (SO fun!), some big projects at work, a work trip to New York this weekend AND looking for someplace to live, I’m ready to collapse.
Which is precisely the time to bring out the slow cooker. (Or, actually collapse…which might happen.) So let’s pull out the slow cooker, slow things down a bit and enjoy a nice, easy dinner. And please drink some wine for me. At minimum, a glass – preferably more.
Paella. In. The. Slow. Cooker.
This isn’t really authentic paella. It’s more like the paella for those of us who don’t have a paella pan. And don’t really have the time to spend an hour and a half on dinner. And don’t really have the money for dinners that include not only chicken and chorizo, but clams, shrimp and lobster tails.
I like to think of us as normal people. Real people. And people who sometimes need to collapse. 🙂
This slow cooker paella takes a half hour of prep work and two hours in the slow cooker. (And NO clams or lobster tails!)
And after it’s finished in the slow cooker, and you’re ready to eat, you must promise me three things:
- You’ll squeeze some fresh lemon over each plate
- You’ll sprinkle fresh parsley over each plate
- You’ll season (each plate) with some (hopefully high-quality) salt if it needs it
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ lb (skinless, boneless) chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cups short-grain rice (I used arborio)
- 1-14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 4 oz cured chorizo, roughly chopped (I found this in the packaged deli meat section)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of saffron
- 3 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped parsley for serving
- lemon wedges for serving
- Heat oil in large pan.
- Add chicken and sprinkle with half of paprika and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer chicken to the slow cooker with a slotted spoon.
- Add rice to pan and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add to slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients to slow cooker, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, until rice is soft.
- Stir in peas and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve with parsley and lemon wedges.