Whole Foods copycat Spicy Smoked Gouda Dip! The best smoked gouda dip!
I recently heard a statistic that Americans eat, on average, 23 pounds of cheese per year. I’m taking full responsibility for the high side of that average. It’s not a fact I’m especially proud of, but I just can’t quit cheese. Or dairy for that matter. You can take the girl out of Wisconsin but you just can’t take Wisconsin out of the girl.
And to put fuel on my I-eat-too-much-cheese fire, there are very few cheeses that I don’t love. Smoked gouda is one of them. It’s not that I dislike it, but I don’t love it. (And why eat a cheese you don’t love?)
What I do love? The spicy gouda dip from Whole Foods Market. Which is made with smoked gouda…go figure. It also costs like, $1 million/pound.
So I had to recreate it at home.
It’s reminiscent of pimento cheese, at least in its preparation but tastes smoky, spicy and cheesy. Obviously. (?!) We managed to eat the entire batch with crackers, but oh my would this be amazing in a grilled cheese.
It’s also the perfect football food…just in case you’re watching any these days. (I suppose this cheese-fueled post is a good time to officially deem myself a Packers fan. :))Print
- 2 cups shredded smoked gouda cheese (a 6-8 oz block should be plenty)
- 4 oz light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 small jalapenos (less if you don’t like spice!)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- few drops of Worcestershire sauce
- season to taste: salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
- Stir together all ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to an hour before serving.
- Serve with crackers or crostini.