Have you ever picked vegetables from a garden in the morning and had them for dinner later that day?
If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you probably have. This is my “garden.”
So obviously I’m not harvesting much this year – although I was able to make some pesto and enjoy fresh herbs this summer. 🙂 And it is pretty much on its last leg at this point.
My Dad on the other hand, shares a beautiful, huge garden that I’ve been lucky enough to visit the last few times I’ve been home. You can usually find me in the kale row, but last time I visited I also brought home cucumbers, beets, leeks, onions and tomatoes.
I also ended up coming home with some gruyere cheese that my Mom had left over from a tomato pie. Sounds good to me!
I wanted to go with a lighter version so I layered fresh tomato slices, onions and gruyere and baked it all together. (Her version was made with a pie crust and was definitely delicious.)
It was the perfect side dish to some fresh kale and eggs (our dinner) but it would be wonderful alongside some grilled chicken or cod as well.Print
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Drizzle olive oil on the bottom of 8×8 inch pan.
- Place a layer of tomatoes on bottom of pan.
- Top with a layer of onion slices.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, until cheese is golden brown.