I ♥ fat. I really do. I’m not a fan of the hydrogenated trans-fat kind but healthy fats? Yes please. The occasional bacon fat? Definitely yes. Fat can add so much to a meal – in terms of satiety, texture (crispy, smooth, etc), and because, well, it just tastes good.
Our body also needs fats (in moderation). Why do we need fats?
- required for some vitamins to be absorbed (Vit D, E, K & A)
- help to maintain cell membranes
- needed for growth and development – throughout life
- source of energy
- omega-3 fatty acids can help control inflammation – which helps in disease prevention and over-all health
Ready to eat some good fats?
Crispy Salmon with Avocado & Grapefruit Salad adapted from Bon Appétit. Serves two.
- 1 Tbsp grapefruit juice
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 salmon filets
- 1 head bibb lettuce
- 1/2 english cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 grapefruit, segmented
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
Mix together citrus juices, greek yogurt, garlic and salt & pepper. Set aside. Heat oil in pan until hot. Season salmon with salt & pepper. Sear salmon, skin side down for about 6 minutes, flip over and heat until cooked through, about 4 more minutes. Assemble lettuce, cucumber, grapefruit and avocado. Drizzle with dressing.