In this kale & sausage pasta recipe, hot italian sausage is used for flavor and kale brings some green nutrients to the mix. Sprinkle with a bit of parmesan and a drizzle of good olive oil – it’s all you need!
We have a slight pasta problem at our house.
As in, even though my husband and daughter live with a Nutritionist, they don’t listen to my portion size recommendations. Can you even believe it?
I’ve never been one to follow the GOOD or BAD food rules, so it’s not that I think pasta is BAD but even healthy foods (and yes, I would consider this kale & sausage pasta healthy) need portion control. Maybe someday they’ll take my advice. 😉
OH! This has nothing to do with pasta, but I just realized that I haven’t even made it blog official that I’m pregnant. I announced it on instagram and facebook a few weeks ago and it slipped my mind that I never told YOU! (But we’re instagram friends so you already knew, right? RIGHT?!)
Anyway, my sweet toddler loves her pasta and my sweet husband loves his pasta. And ok fine, I love pasta too! I also love meals that are comforting but not heavy, that come together in 15 minutes and that require only five ingredients.
And you know me, if I can get some kale into a recipe, I will! (I made this short (30 seconds) video to show you how I remove the stems from kale. It’s way easier than cutting them out!)
Even though I’ve been at this whole motherhood/family life thing for almost two years, I’m finally starting to feel like I’ve figured a few things out. One way I’ve simplified at home is to meal plan around the idea of themes – like pasta, mexican, chicken, etc. Everyone is a fan of the pasta theme, the meals are easy and it’s a cheap ingredient!
Easy and cheap for the win. In this kale & sausage pasta, some hot (or mild if you prefer) italian sausage is used for flavor and the kale brings some green nutrients to the mix. Sprinkle with a bit of parmesan and a drizzle of good olive oil – it’s all you need!
I love hearing from you guys when you make recipes you’ve found here so let me know what you think, or tag me on social media (@anutritionisteats or #anutritionisteats) so I can see your creations!Print
- 1 bunch kale (I like lacinato/dino)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 pound raw italian sausage (about 3 links, casing removed)
- 3/4 lb whole wheat fusilli pasta
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- salt & pepper
- extra parmesan, olive oil and red pepper flakes for serving
- Wash kale. Remove stems and thinly slice.
- In a large pot, bring water to boil.
- When water boils, add pasta and cook according to directions, until al dente.
- While pasta cooks, heat large skillet and add oil to pan.
- When oil is hot, add garlic and sausage.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, breaking up sausage with spatula.
- Add kale and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Turn heat down to low.
- When pasta is done cooking, reserve 1 cup cooking liquid and drain.
- Add pasta to skillet, along with reserved cooking liquid and parmesan.
- Stir together until liquid has evaporated.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Drizzle with olive oil and extra parmesan if desired.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 564
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Fat: 22 grams
- Carbohydrates: 61 grams
- Fiber: 9 grams
- Protein: 28 grams
- Cholesterol: 34 mg