Add this easy Tortellini, Chicken & Arugula Salad to your summer meal rotation, it’s perfect for dining al fresco!
This is the best kind of dinner.
All of the food groups are covered: protein, vegetable, PASTA!!! (Ok, technically pasta isn’t a food group…but in our house it may as well be.)
It’s super easy to throw together – perfect for a weeknight. I love using arugula because it doesn’t require ANY prep. (Shhh, don’t tell anyone that’s why I use it so much.)
And, it’s kid-friendly. Chicken and pasta, remember? The arugula might take some convincing, but it’s always worth a try!
Growing up, summers in Wisconsin meant dinners were eaten outside and most of the time involved a pasta salad. Either as the main meal itself, or on the side of some grilled brats, my mom has enough fantastic pasta salad recipes in her arsenal to easily last the whole season.
So thanks to my mom, all summer long, pasta salads are kind of my thing.
Pasta is currently a little tough for me to eat because of the carb levels, but because this one contains lots of protein from the chicken, I can make a small portion work! (Phew!)
I love tortellini, I love chicken thighs, I love arugula, but this pasta salad is really about the dressing.
Everything is tossed in a parmesan vinaigrette that’s blended together so that parmesan and shallot flavor coat every single bite – and bring everything together for a flavorful, satisfying meal.
Let’s summer, shall we?
I love hearing from you guys when you make recipes you’ve found here so let me know what you think, or tag me on social media (@anutritionisteats or #anutritionisteats) so I can see your creations!
- 10 oz package of cheese tortellini
- 1 /12 lb chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 3-4 oz arugula (about 4-5 cups)
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta as directed and set aside.
- Meanwhile, season chicken with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Broil on high for 8 minutes, flip over and broil for another 6 minutes, or until cooked through. (Can also cook on the grill.) Let rest for a few minutes and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- While chicken and pasta are cooking, combine shallot, parmesan cheese, dijon mustard, 1/4 cup olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Toss together pasta, chicken, arugula, and dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
If making chicken and pasta ahead of time, toss pasta and chicken with half of dressing and reserve the rest to toss with arugula right before serving.
- Calories: 625
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 32 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 50 g
- Cholesterol: 175 mg